Silas had his 9 month check-up last week. He had a growth spurt the past few months putting him in the 70th percentile for height, but is still in the 50th percentile for weight. He's right on track. Crawling, pulling up, feeding himself bits of food...the doctor named it, I confirmed it: Silas is doing it all. Then our dear pediatrician asked if Silas was clapping. Clapping? Well, now that you mention it, no, um, I don't think I've seen him...I mean, is he really supposed to be doing that by now? Dr. P laughed and said, "He gets a strike for that." But no concerns with anything else, so no worries.
Let me tell you, I went right home and told Shane that our baby boy was not clapping and that other kids his age were and we needed to get to work. And I'll tell you what, within 3 days, that boy was clapping like he'd been doing it his whole life. And here's the proof:
Silas learns new skills every day. He doesn't stay in the same old patterns. If he did, we would start to wonder about him. Today I am coming to terms with the Truth that our Lord doesn't always do the same old things, either. He works in and around us in new, fresh ways all the time. Some days I really want Him to just do the old things. Those were comfortable, I knew what they looked like, I could kind of anticipate the pattern. But new...new is sometimes a little hard to break in. I'm not so sure how it will work in the long run. It might even hurt a bit.
But my God has got skillz I've never seen. And I'm not about to miss out. The promises are too great, the reward too enticing, the joy too overwhelming. So I'll take new. From the Ancient of Days, I'll take new.
Isaiah 43:18-21"Forget the former things; do not dwell on the
past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I
am making a way in the desert, and streams in the wasteland...to give drink to
my people, my chosen, the people I formed for myself
that they may proclaim my praise."
3 comments:
amen. amen. thanks for sharing this brittany! love it. and Silas is soooo cute! great clapping!
We have a wonder boy on our hands don't we! What a cutie.
Amen too..your words of wisdom spoke directly to my heart, thank you.
Well, since reading your blog, Tom is obsessed with getting Hudson to clap! We didn't know that was on the agenda either! So, everytime Hudson claps I think of the Drurys!
Post a Comment