Thursday, July 08, 2010

The Twin Thing


.
After we had Silas I remember telling Shane that I hoped we had a girl next. My entire pregnancy and birth experience with Silas was so special that I wanted the next one to be just as unique and special as the first. Little did I know that the Lord had more than a little girl in mind for us next time...He was planning twins!
.
Simeon and Lieren are as different as two babies could be already. He loves his paci...she acts like she is going to gag sometimes when you put it in her mouth. She is as calm as can be...he starts hollering about anything and everything. He is an excellent sleeper...she would rather snuggle.
.
Life with twin newborns doesn't really take much more work than having one, in my opinion. It does take more coordinating, though! Our babies eat at the same time, so if one wakes ready to eat, I wake the other to nurse too. When one diaper needs changing, or it's bathtime, it doesn't take double the time to do two. But it does take some figuring out to get both settled for awake times in swings or bouncies, burped (especially when the other wants to keep eating), up and down the stairs, or sleeping contently. I consistently do not have enough arms and am constantly running back up or down the stairs to get something I need.
.
The babies and I do life in a nice 3-hour routine. It works great for all of us and I love having some idea what to expect from each day. Right now feeding times take about 45 minutes to get both twins fed and diapers changed. Not bad! And they do well at night, falling right back to sleep so I can do the same. Speaking of middle of the night stuff, did you know that at 4 in the morning HGTV puts up a screen that says Good Night then switches to paid programming? I have to turn the TV on for that latest night/earliest morning feeding to get myself awake. I've seen that HGTV screen more in the past 2 weeks than I wanted!
.o
But making it all work is worth life with these two. The twin thing is so sweet. They really do love to be together...




2 comments:

neubiewaters said...

Brittany, clearly God knows what he is doing! If you don't find having twins any more stressful than just one, this amazes me and reminds me that God knows how to do things much better than I do. I would be out of my mind with stress and worry with twins, so good thing I've only had one at a time. I too know that HGTV shuts down and have seen that screen come up too many times. I've also started to enjoy the Cosby show on Nick at Night or the occasional Law & Order that might come on that late. Your babies are just adorable...wish we could see them in person!

The Goings Family said...

They are just too cute. The picture of Simeon loving on Lieren is just precious! What memories you are going to have with these two angels.