Sister and I found several humorous items during our market stroll. Whenever non-English speakers attempt to knock-off American brands, the result is often comical. This year the knock-off brand of choice must have been Land's End. We saw it everywhere. Needless to say, we neither purchased much. I finally settled on a pj set for Silas that says Hello Mummy Daddy. Shane will question it for sure (sorry, babe). Singapore has a strong British influence, hence the use of Mum instead of Mom. Cost me about $4. I didn't have the heart to bargain. I was tempted by these t-shirts along the way...
Can you see the white one? The largest size they had in it was 18 months and it says Born in 2005. Hmmm. I think it should have been on clearance.
Several of you asked about Singapore before I left on this trip, so I thought I would share a bit of what I know about this stunning city. Click here to see a map of where Singapore is located in relation to the rest of south east Asia. You'll see it tucked away in the midst of Malaysia (in blue). I did not grow up here, but have visited about 7 times since my parents moved here in 1996 after I graduated from high school. My parents have lived in this apartment building since then...
This is the view off their balcony. The sea to the left (beach photos to come in the next couple of days!). And the city skyline to the front and right...
Singapore is an independent city-state with it's own government. It is a melting pot of cultures. People of Chinese, Malay, Indian, Filipino, and Indonesian background (among others) come together here as Singaporeans. The many religions reflected in these peoples include Islam, Buddhism, Christianity, and Hindu. Because of the influence of the British, Singaporeans get in a taxi queue (say "q") rather than stand in line, take the lift rather than an elevator, and tell each other can rather than ok. And they drive on the other side of the street...
Space is a major issue for this nation that is the size of a large city (almost 5 million people) so most people live in high-rise apartment buildings like my parents. However, for a place with that big city feel, Singapore is as green as they come. Every street is meticulously manicured with trees lining the sidewalks and flowering bushes on the overpasses...
No comments:
Post a Comment