The end of the first quarter. One fourth of the way done with kindergarten.
I am a bit reflective about it tonight.
Because in so many ways, I just can't believe what it looks like now that we're this far in.
To be honest with you, back in August, there were some serious days when I was ready to just sign the kid up for school. Our move took its toll on me and I didn't get as much accomplished over the summer as I had hoped. I couldn't even picture what life would look like.
But then I went back to the assurance that I really believed God was calling us to this so I decided that we probably could at least get by. I mean, Silas was already reading so if I just did some reading lessons every week, a few math lessons and went to this Classical Conversations thing, he would at least get a science experiment and art project every week. I thought we could probably make it.
Now not that many weeks later, we're more than just making it. I mean, I actually make lesson plans for each week! We cover reading, math, science, history, English, and Latin. And we have a weekly routine. And we have a community of people who are walking the same journey with us.
We've finished the kindergarten math book.
Silas can skip count (recite the times tables) all the way through the 11s.
He is learning some great facts about American history and can answer simple questions about them. He shows a profound interest in history in general.
Reading is where he excells by far and handwriting is where he needs the most encouragement.
I love most of all that schooling at home is bonding my heart deeper to my kids. We are making memories.
I was thinking the other morning as I had 4 children singing and doing the motions to the CC timeline song, this is what we'll talk about when they're about to go off to college. Remember those days?
And we'll probably all still remember the words.

No comments:
Post a Comment