Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Props for Silas and for My Feet

Silas and I are home. Back to Daddy and puppies and...well, I wanted to say routine, but we're not even close to that. So I'll stick with we're here. Thank you for praying for us on the trip home. The Lord was gracious again to take care of every detail. I tried to be mindful of Him all along the way. I did question His judgment when I sat down for the longest flight of our trip next to two beefy gentlemen who started off the plane ride with beers and scotch. Awesome. Just what I needed was two tipsy men beside me while I nursed. But the Lord knows far better what I need. And before we hit our cruising altitude, the guys had drifted off into deep sleeps, not really to waken again before we landed. It was a glorious ride. Silas slept for about 5 hours on that plane so I watched two movies. I could hardly move my legs when he woke, but he slept and that made us both very happy. As we were deplaning, one of the guys asked if the baby was always that good. I smiled and gave Silas props. Yes, always.

But now that we're home, sleep is fleeting. Jet-lag has set in (did you notice I'm writing this at 1:45 in the morning) and Silas has only napped the past two nights. It took him five days to adjust to Singapore time, so hopefully we'll be back to normal by Thursday.

In the meantime, I'm reflecting. It was a treasure to be with my family. Reminded me that home is about people, not places or things. Home has always meant meals with my parents around their dining room table. I've propped my feet on the same place under that table for as long as I can remember. There are few things that have remained so consistent in my life. The Lord. Family. And the table. One day my parents will retire and move back to America. I don't expect the table to come with them (but there have been discussions and negotiations are still in the works - insert grin here as my parents sigh). I will miss propping my feet on that same spot. The new table will be a reminder that home is not about our stuff. It is about the Lord and people and love. It's about stories and laughs and memories. I don't need to prop my feet up for that. I just need the people I love most around me. One day soon we'll all feast together at a Table that we won't ever have to leave behind. Thank You, Jesus, that this world is not our true home. We're just passing through.

Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
Matthew 6:19-21

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome home! Thanks for letting us travel along with you. See you soon.

Ashley said...

Very well written, Brittany. Glad you made it home and hopefully adjusting to US time very soon!