The children are taking a much-needed long nap today. I am expecting them to wake anytime, but am thankful they are resting. No one told them they were supposed to sleep in on vacation. So this is good.
Children on vacation is an interesting thing. I can tell they love the change of pace, but they also have no idea what to expect. So we've had a few melt-downs. And as Shane said, who can blame them? We've given them reasons to have a fit, even if it was just because our vacation plans didn't go as planned. But overall, they have done great, slept well, and traveled excellently.
I love Missouri (yep, that's where we are!). When we drove in on Tuesday, I commented on it. There is something about driving through the hills in Missouri that always makes me feel like I've come home. Which is interesting, considering I grew up at the beach.
Yesterday we spent the day playing at a State Park, checking out a nearby condo for future reference, lunching at Panera, playing at the beach (Shane and Silas), napping (Simeon - the other two resisted and "talked" to each other instead), suppering at a yummy local cheesesteak place, and going to an arcade. The arcade was super fun for Silas. And we were the only people there.
It is the off-season here so it's not surprising there wasn't anyone at the arcade. On Tuesday, ours was the only car in our condo building parking lot. Last night a couple other cars appeared and today I've seen a few more. Still barely anyone in sight. I kinda like it this way.
This morning Shane took Silas to a cave. Silas also got to mine for rocks. They had to wait a while before their cave tour started so I'm glad we resisted the last-minute discussion about taking the babies. Instead, I walked down to the beach with Sim and Lieren. We played in the sand. Waded in the water. Took a walk along the boardwalk. Ate a snack. Then I pushed them uphill back to the condo. And carried each umbrella stroller individually up the 4 flights of stairs to our place. Got my workout in.
We didn't bring our double stroller cause it wouldn't fit with all the other stuff we needed to bring. But the 2 umbrella strollers with connectors is a great option. Especially when you need to carry babies up flights of stairs. It's funny because as we were getting in the van to leave home I commented to Shane how surprised I was that everything fit so well. We kinda applauded ourselves. Not so much a few hours later when we realized we forgot our pack-n-plays.
We are so grateful we have the wonderful friends we have. Especially the friends who live right here where we are vacationing! They are the kind of friends who don't care when you call them late at night and explain you are here on vacation, forgot your pack-n-plays, and your attempt at rigging beds for your 15-month-old twins wasn't working. They tell you to come right on over and pick up beds for your babies. Then make plans to get together again before you leave cause they just had twins of their own!
Which makes me think of the good friends I am missing back home. Friends who get out of bed at 11:30 and come sleep at your house so you can go to the ER. Friends who decide to all play together at the park on a random Thursday after you had all cancelled said plans fearing several of your children were sick, but then when they all seemed well you were all so desperate to chat, you all got together at the last minute and even celebrated a late birthday for one of the kids! Then when you all stayed at the park too long and all the children were hungry for lunch, your friends are good enough friends to suggest going to the Pizza Hut buffet...all of you...4 mommies and 9 children. And they just laugh when you walk in and ask if anyone really thought through this plan? Because these are good friends. And no one just goes with the crazy like they do.
Well. Simeon is awake and now wandering the condo with his favorite train. The other two are still sleeping and Shane should be back at any minute from a shopping trip of his own. I am wearing shoes around that I bought yesterday trying to decide if I like them. And we have friends coming for dinner. In the meantime, Sim and I are heading out on the deck to watch the boats...
No comments:
Post a Comment